Dress: Dear Creatures Mojave Maxi Dress, found at Plato’s Closet for $14.99 Leather Jacket: Goodwill, $5
As I turned 27 today, I was reflecting on the lessons that have brought me this far and I wanted to share them with the people that have shared the journey with me, so here goes.
- Take care of yourself, take time to do things that makes your heart sing, no apologies.
- Travel as far and as often as possible and learn from the locals, whether it’s where to get the best coffee or how to treat others, just learn.
- Prioritize your faith, because, at the end of the day, it’s the most important thing that you have.
- Extend a hand wherever you can. Take care of those who can’t care for themselves.
- Get interested in something new and ask questions, lots of questions (where my fellow bloggers??)
- Find a cause you believe in. This can include your job, whatever it is, just get immensely passionate about it.
- Fight well, it’s gonna happen, make sure you’re doing it with integrity.
- Love your family and take time for them.
- Laugh and don’t resent the lines.
- Read, read, read.
- Marry a man that you would be proud to have a son just like.
- Wash your sheets. Often. Just trust me.
- Dance it out, even if you’re alone. Sometimes I just throw on music and dance, sometimes there’s tears , and sometimes there’s not, either way, keep dancing.
- Work out your body, you’re not getting any younger.
- Encourage other women. Be that girl that champions other women. Love your tribe hard.
- If you love the music, see it live.
- Eat whatever you want, just do it in moderation, taking care of yourself is a form of self-respect (the French are super good at this).
- Be strict with your goals, but flexible with how you reach them.
- Have dogs.
- Go outside and look up, the one who made the stars, made you.
- Save money, but don’t be cheap, it’s not a good look on anyone.
- Make traditions with those that you love; I live for Christmas light drives or Valentine’s Day Chinese Take-Out with Mike, and yes, my mother did call and sing me Happy Birthday today at the exact time I was born, because she’s the best.
- Listen, don’t just talk.
- Keep your house organized and your mind will be organized, and in the words of William Morris, “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” It’s a good rule of thumb.
- Live well.
- Love well.
- Dress very well.
I wish you all many more birthdays and lessons learned. If you have any lessons that you’d love to share with me, send them my way on the blog or on my Insta at “wanderlustandwardrobes”.
“May you go everywhere and wear it all.”